About Me

My name is Carissa, I am a friendly, outgoing lady who loves to laugh and loves to love. I am currently studying full time at Yavapai College working to complete my Associate of Business Degree as well as an Associates in Accounting. I love to work with numbers and I enjoy any challenge. I have worked in the food industry most of my life and I love to cook. I like to surround myself with fun, positive people who know how to keep things interesting!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

My response to "Good Readers and Good Writers"

by Vladimir Nabokov

    In this text from Nabokov, he shares his idea of a good reader.  Nabokov mentions, "one cannot read a book: one can only reread it."  Thus he believes a good reader does not only read, he/she rereads.  I personally can relate to his statement as I am a re reader.  I have not been able to read any piece just once feeling comfortable that I have taken everything I can from the piece.  It is only until I reread the piece several times that I feel I have absorbed all that is necessary.
   It is my opinion that rereading is one of the most important characteristics of a good reader.  I personally feel that I am a good reader just not a great reader.  I have a hard time staying focused on the piece.  My mind tends to wander and I begin to think of all of the little things I have to do after I finish reading, suddenly I realize I have no idea what I just read.

Click here to read another idea about what makes a good reader.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I am the same exact way when it comes the the good reader and not a great reader. My mind is always a wander about the things I have to do and what time I must go to work. When I read I try to be a quiet area where I can try to focus on the book at hand. If I don't I won't complete understand all the hidden details the author would like me to.
    I'm also can personally relate to Nabokov's statement and re-reading because I do it constantly. I re-read the text to get all that I possibly can from it. All the little things the authors wants me to get from it. I may not get everything from just the first or second read of a book but rather start getting in depth between the third and fourth times.

    ReplyDelete