"Like one who, on a lonely road,
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And, having once turn’d round, walks on,
And turns no more his head,
Because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.”
(Shelley Pgs. 35-36)
I chose the passage above because it really stuck out to me while reading the first two volumes in this novel. I continued to read through wondering how one man could be so determined to accomplish this ultimate goal yet so disgusted with the end result. It seems to me that he is still mourning the loss of his loved ones and in his mourning he attempts to fill the emptiness with this imaginary idea of a companion. In the process of creating this companion he so longed for he mentions that he had deprived himself of rest and health. Through all of his hard work he has created not a companion but the exact opposite of a companion and something he now fears. In this passage he states that he proceeds to run away from what he called home in fear of this creature he had created. I think if one simply reads the passage they will have a pretty good idea of what has gone on in the novel thus far. Victor has created this terrible creature to fill his emptiness. Yet he is so remorseful towards the monster that he has created, a monster that he will now continue to fear. This passage really sets the scene of the story thus far and encourages readers such as myself to continue reading to find out what will come of Victor and his monster.
Click here to read more about this story and the author.
Good job with this post. I too recognized the amount of dedication expressed in this story. I agree with your analysis and like what you said about him mourning the loss of his loved ones. He obviously fills this void with this dedication. I'm not that far in the book yet but have an idea of what is coming. Good Job.
ReplyDelete